Sunday, August 30, 2020

Favorite video game art work?

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is a bit off topic. So, I teach a game design elective at a private middle school and I’ve slowly been decorating my classroom with cool game art. Most of them are canvases I had blown up from his res images and hung on the walls. Over the past several months I’ve been making a note of artwork I’d consider hanging in the class room, but I found myself to be extremely picky! Haha.

The main criteria being the artwork has to be from an important or historically significant game, series or company, representative of a genre, theme, or common game motif, from a game that’s remembered for its striking art (like Okami), work of renowned artist in video games like Yoshitaka Amano or Capcom’s Bengus, or just a really gorgeous piece of art work you’ve come across! All the better if I can point to it and work it into a discussion,

Here’s what I currently have on the walls:

A large canvas of the Japanese box art of ICO https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/433300-ico-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

A large canvas of Shadow of the Colossus https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0747/3829/products/mHP0679.jpeg?v=1571444329

A large canvas of the opening screen from Secret of Mana https://i.pinimg.com/originals/84/c3/e6/84c3e657868bc26442b9a66c135be4f5.jpg

and a smaller metal print of Amaterasu from Okami. https://assets1.ignimgs.com/2017/08/14/untitled-9-1502718801630.jpg?width=1280

Being the Nintendo reddit, feel free to recommend anything Nintendo, but really any artwork that represents a piece of gaming or its history. It could be official game art or fan art, as long as I can track down a big enough image file. So, have you ever come across something in an instruction manual, box art, gaming magazine or promo swag that made you think “Wow! I totally want a big-ass poster of that!”

Some of the ideas I have floating around in my head: - One of the many smash bros ensemble murals, or maybe the finishes SSBU mural when the fighter pass ends. - Something Tetris with a retro feel - Art from one of the landmark JRPGs in the 90’s - A world map from Mario, Zelda, etc. (or even a level diagram) -Portraits of famous game designers (Miyamoto of course has some awesome ones) - Something capcom, I know it’s vague but capcom has so many influential series it’s hard to decide! Maybe a Marvel vs. Capcom style collage?

Anyway! Your recommendations are very much appreciated!

TLDR;

I’m looking for awesome gaming related artwork to plaster over my classroom walls. What would you recommend?

submitted by /u/chronoboy1985
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment